‘This should go on, one way or the other’
Following last week’s unexpected adjournment of the case against Shaun Kelly, in connection with the 2010 crash that left eight people dead, a judge has said he is ‘anxious’ to proceed with the trial.
At last week’s sitting, the case against the 24-year-old, from Hill Road, Ballymagan, was adjourned after counsel for Mr. Kelly, Mr. Peter Nolan told the court there are concerns that his client is not fit to be tried.
He produced a psychological report and the case was adjourned until April 1 next by Judge Keenan Johnson in order to allow the prosecution time to study the report and to compile their own assessment.
Speaking at this week’s sitting of Letterkenny Circuit Court Judge John O’Hagan expressed his considerable ‘disappointment’.
He said that the judge at last week’s hearing had been ‘constrained’ and he was disappointed that the trial had not gone ahead.
Judge O’Hagan said: “I cannot emphasise strongly enough how anxious I am that it must proceed.
“This is a case that should go on, one way or the other.”
Mr. Kelly is facing a charge of dangerous driving causing the death of eight people following the July 11, 2010 collision.
Those who died were Hugh Friel (66), Eamon McDaid (22); Mark McLaughlin, (21); Paul Doherty (19); Ciaran Sweeney (19); PJ McLaughlin (21); James McEleney (23); and Damien McLaughlin (21).