Kelly dangerous driving case WILL go ahead next Tuesday
Letterkenny trial expected to last ‘at least a week’
THE BUNCRANA man accused of causing the deaths of seven of his friends and another local pensioner by dangerous driving will stand trial next Tuesday – more than four years after the road traffic collision outside Clonmany.
Shaun Kelly, from Ballymagan, Buncrana appeared in Letterkenny Circuit Court on Tuesday, accompanied by his parents.
Kelly (24) faces one charge of causing the death of eight people by dangerous driving at Meenaduff, Clonmany on July 11, 2010.
He arrived in court alone on Tuesday morning at 8.40am, almost two hours before the scheduled 10.30am start time.
His parents arrived separately and all three then sat together in the courtroom.
Addressing Letterkenny Circuit Court, State Prosecutor Patricia McLaughlin told visiting Judge Matthew Deery that the trial was ready to go ahead and asked for the case to be put in for trial next Tuesday, July 22.
Ms. McLaughlin said a full jury would be required for the court case. Defence barrister Peter Nolan BL said the trial would take at least a week and could possibly go into a second week.
The trial has already been adjourned on several occasions.
Donegal Circuit Court Judge, John O’Hagan, who will return next week to hear evidence, has previously warned both the prosecution and the defence that the case MUST go ahead in July.
He said he was aware that delays created a great deal of discomfort and pain for the families of the eight people who died.
A small number of those family members were present in court on Tuesday – as they have been on a number of previous occasions.
In May Kelly’s defence team withdrew a ‘fitness to plead’ application.