Cigarette likely to have started Moville fire

Residents cut off at upper windows after blaze in stairwell

page 3 Fire

Gardaí believe a discarded cigarette is the likely cause of a late night fire that could have caused multiple fatalities at an apartment complex in Moville last week. Many residents were cut off at upper floor windows after a blaze and thick smoke suddenly engulfed the main stairway, their only means of escape. Six people, including three young children, suffered smoke inhalation and were taken by ambulance to Letterkenny Hospital. The Moville Fire Brigade was alerted to the apartment block on James Street at 11.37pm last Monday night, arriving at the scene of the fire within three-and-a-half minutes. Donegal Chief Fire Officer Joseph McTaggart said local firefighters, under the direction of station officer Frank McDermott, and assisted by the Carn Fire Brigade ‘reacted quickly to extinguish the fire and remove all occupants to safety.’ He said a number of occupants had been ‘seeking assistance at the upper floor windows’ when the fire brigade arrived.

 

To read more on this story click here